Translate

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

She's Ours!

We went to the U.S. Consulate today and had our adoption paperwork processed and said our adoption vows.   Elsa is now officially ours! 



Tomorrow Elsa's visa should be ready-so we can travel.


I could tell you that saying our vows was just so picturesque and serene....that it was just an amazing moment.


But I'll tell you what actually happened instead.  :)


When we got out of the van near the consulate- we were told we could only take our wallets and paperwork in. 

We walked a couple blocks and a thought crossed my mind- hey, what about Elsa's diapers?    Then I thought, oh' we should only be in there an hour...it should be ok.    We had to be on time for our appointment.

Then we were in a big room with other adopting families.     A woman with a microphone starts explaining everything- and then a terrible stench fills the air.   I look around - I hope - I hope - it's not mine.

Ken looks...yup, it's Elsa.  No diapers.. no wipes..and a horrible smell.  Oh' dear.

We start to say our vows...I lift up my right hand to start repeating...meanwhile Iana is asking me for a snack (I have to explain, several times, between the vows that all the snacks are in the van).    

There is a little girl that won't let Elsa play with any of the toys.   So Elsa walks around with a terrible stench.
And my throat is killing me (more on this another time).

We finish our vows. 

I notice a woman that has diapers-someone told her she could bring a clear bag with items in- so she brought some with her.  She is very nice and gives me a diaper and some wipes.

Her daughter happened to have exploded at the same time as Elsa.   That's double trouble for you!

I take her to the bathroom to change her diaper..and miss my number call to the window (it's kind of like the DMV)... so we wait and they call us again.

We went back to the hotel room, and I had to run down to the lobby for a minute.

When I returned, Elsa (for the first time) ran to me with a huge smile to give me a hug.   

And I realized that adoption...it's just like natural birth.

It is messy and there can be complications.

But at the end of the day...when you look down at that sweet face... you know...

That you just added another member to your family.

And that it was all worth it.  :)  





4 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

    (Ma/Grandma)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did it again....made everyone who reads this cry (Lol), happy tears of course! Sooo happy for your family, congratulations on your beautiful little girl!! So happy for all of us too, we get to reap the rewards of your labors. Yay we have a new family member!! Love you guys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing and interesting. Thank you! Oh, and she's sitting on Ken isn't she? :)
    Ma/G.ma

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your adoption story. So real and so sweet. God is so good to us all. What a blessing she is going to be to you all. The most beautiful and perfect things are made by God and He made you all a family!

    ReplyDelete