Translate

Thursday, June 6, 2013

A Gentle Rebuke


“My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord, nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him; for whom the Lord loves He chastens, and scourges every son whom He receives.'  If you endure chastening, God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom a father does not chasten?"
Hebrews 12:5b-7
 
A few weeks ago, I saw a picture of another little girl over in China.  She was very cute, and the description about her was so sweet.    I showed her picture to Ken.   I started discussing with Ken about adopting a second child at the same time as little Elsa.    It wouldn't cost as much for a second (not that we have the finances to pay for the first), but it all seemed like such a great idea.
 
The next morning I walked into the kitchen and the Pastor was sharing about how Jesus chose His disciples.    He said that the night before Jesus chose -that Jesus stayed up all night in prayer (Luke 6).    The pastor asked, "Do you think that you are better than Jesus- who stayed up all night to pray before choosing His disciples- that you don't have to pray before choosing?"
 
Yes, I felt that rebuke.   So sweet and so kind of my heavenly Father to remind me to rely on Him.
 
It reminded me of this verse...Galatians 3:3  "Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh?"
 
So I have resigned myself to prayer.  
 
I will not seek to choose another child -except as directed by my Father.   I am not a savior.   Jesus is the Savior
 
But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look at his appearance or at his physical stature, because I have refused him. For the Lord does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”
(1 Samuel 16:7)
 
Only God knows, and I am so thankful that we can pray and seek His guidance.
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Nicolie that is the verse the Lord gave me when we first visited The Masters College; not to look at the outside but at the heart of the school. If there is another child for your family to come along with Elsa, you won't miss them; God will be sure you know. That is the 'resting' part; He won't let us miss His well when we are seeking it & Him. You and Ken have such sweet and precious hearts; I can't wait to see what God will do in and through this. Love you, Iana and Elsa's Grandmama

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much do I love reading your blog? Lots!! It is so wonderful to have the privilege to see into this place happening in your guys' lives. I am glad the Lord is speaking so clearly to you about these matters. Should be a comfort knowing that He is so obviously involved in the process with you, and... involved in the process with Elsa over in China right now!
    Expectant Auntie

    ReplyDelete